Monday, August 15, 2011

Downloading apps

I am challening myself to advance my technology skills. Just doing this blog is certainly a daily learning experience!
I decided yesterday that it would be good to have some resources handy on my I phone as we travel--a temperature converter and a currency converter to begin with. So I turned to my trusty "My I Phone" Fourth Edition book, and walked through the guide to locate the iTunes store on the internet, then search for travel-related applications. There are literally hundreds of them! I selected "Speaking Easy Russian", and "Basic German". These two give the written English word or phrase, the written translations, then you can hear someone speak the phrase so you can actually get the pronounciation. These cost 0.99 cents each. I found the termperature and currency converters. They were both free. I also found a compass, and a travel guide for Vienna and one for St Petersburg. The US Department of State has one called Smart Traveller which has tons of information about each country and also provides any travel alerts issued by the feds. It gives the background of the country, a section called Know Before You Go, and lists locations of the US Embassies and Consulates.
The process requires me to select and download the application to the I-Tunes account on my computer, then transfer the application to the phone when I plug the I phone into the computer and click on "apply" Wa-la!

No comments:

Post a Comment